Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Matisse violinist & a baby daughter


This is my screen saver. Before I write, I have this reminder that I know little or nothing about colour. Can't even label the shades in this canvas. I call it a canvas, because I cannot say whether it was done with watercolours, an old palette, egg yolk, charcoal, or the more modern artistic tools of human waste, sharks teeth, bulldozers, and toilet paper. If you asked me the colour of the shutters, I'd hazard a guess: baby's blue, robin's egg blue, but then I'd lose my concentration, and gaze at the violinist gazing. The mirror optically reversed, our mind refracted so it looks at the back of a man's mind, contemplating what is out there, while playing music. My daughter finally falls asleep, she's been contemplating the father contemplating the violinist contemplating the outdoors - for anyone aspiring to be a celebrity twice removed, families are very good for keeping you in that place, safely away from those who would publish, and removed the twice removed, and make you answerable to a group of people who don't like you in the first place.

No comments: